The Center: Resources for Teaching and Learning, in conjunction with the Illinois State Board of Education, has compiled a collection of quality materials and resources related to early childhood education. Materials are available for loan or preview through The Center Library. Early Childhood materials in The Center Library are searchable by title in the library's online catalog.
About the collection
The Center Library is a specialized collection of over 15,000 books, journals and visual materials that support and expand upon the philosophy and mission of The Center’s programs. There is extensive material on:
- classroom materials from major publishers of ESL and bilingual materials
- professional development materials for teachers
- teaching adult basic education and literacy, adult ESL and classroom materials
- early childhood development, preschool literacy
- multicultural issues in education, academic development of English learners and more
Reference & other services
- The librarian is available to help answer your questions via email, phone and in-person.
- Keep current with the professional materials in your field. The Center Library subscribes to many journals in the fields of education, language, and child development.
- Receive advice about buying materials and contacting publishers and their representatives. Many new materials are available for preview and for loan.
Find information about using The Center Library － how to get a library card, accessing journal articles online checking out materials, and more － at library.thecenterweb.org. Materials owned by The Center Library can be searched in our catalog at evergreen.thecenterweb.org.
Please contact the Center Librarian at 224-366-8500 for more information about using The Center Library.
Map and Driving Directions
Driving instructions to The Center, 2626 S. Clearbrook Drive, Arlington Heights, Illinois 60005.
Resources for Educators
In addition to the Center Library’s collection, searchable in the library's catalog, we are maintaining a few select resources on this website. Under the Resources for Educators tab above are sections for adult education, K-12 ESL and early childhood highlighting news, new materials, and links to more great resources.
Early Childhood, Preschool
Choosing a Curriculum or Assessment
The new Creative Curriculum for Preschool is available for preview and checkout. We also have the Scholastic Early Childhood Program, the ECERS, the Early Learning Scale, Reggio Emilia, the Project Approach, Teaching Strategies Gold, Work Sampling System, and more.
Recently added early childhood materials in the library
A list of new materials on early childhood education topics, available for checkout at The Center Library.