1E, 1H, 2H, 3C
In this module, we'll discuss stages of second language acquisition and practice using the stages to inform instruction.
Module 3 Video Introduction
Readings & Resources
- One Child, Two Languages (OCTL) Read: Chapters 2-4
- Assessing the Progress of English Language Development of Children Who Are Dual Language Learners in Head Start and Early Head Start - Webinar
Experts analyze the stages of second language acquisition of the children seen in 11 video clips. They begin at 22:30 and end at 1:21:28.
- Stages of Second Language Acquisition Activity
Students describe each stage of second language acquisition and add some instructional recommendations based on their readings. An assessment rubric is included.
- Observation Activity
Students observe a child who is learning English and determine stage of language acquisition based on documentation collected during visit.
- Sara's Day at Preschool
Students analyze Sara's stage of second language acquisition based on a written observation completed at her preschool.
- Foundational and Instructional Considerations for Early Childhood ELL's in TPI &TBE Programs
In the "Bilingual Symposium in Practice", John Hillard presents information on different types of bilingualism as well as implications for instruction. His powerpoint is also available on this site.
- New Voices/Nuevas Voces: Guide to Cultural & Linguistic Diversity in Early Childhood
This book and dvd provide professional development activities around cultural and linguistic diversity in young dual language learners.
- Assessing Language Development in Bilingual Preschool Children
In this seminal article, McLaughlin describes practices to accurately assess stages of language development and use the information for instructional purposes.